As of Tuesday last week, I was unaware that Massachusetts can have tornado's. I was at work on Wednesday afternoon when I heard that we had a "Tornado Warning". I didn't think it would really happen. Several hours later I was watching the tornado through my kitchen window. Crazy? well...yes.
We were only a half mile away from where the destruction began. From my viewpoint it looked like a big dark cloud with some shingle pieces blowing around in the wind. There was no noise. In fact it was eerily quiet. I noticed that the gazillion squirrels that usually fill the backyard were absent, along with the birds. It went past the house very quickly and was gone form my view in less than a minute The whole thing was very strange... but I still didn't think it was a real tornado. When we got the first phone call from someone wanting to see of we were OK, I jokingly told them "Yes, but my lawn chair was knocked over and the power is out... so the ice cream is melting".
Since our power was knocked out so I didn't know the seriousness of the situation until several hours later when Curtis was unable to drive home due to the destruction. He was forced to park several miles away and walk home through torrential rain and lightning. Curtis was shocked by the mess the tornado left behind and kept telling me "you would never believe it, there are trees down everywhere".
It wasn't until the Friday that I saw the full extent of the damage. We went to Sister Robbins home to help remove trees. I now wish that I had brought the camera. There were whole homes missing and devastation everywhere you looked.
The schools were closed for 2 days and on Sunday our church services were cut short so we could get out and help some people. The ward organized 2 different groups and then sent us to work.
Each time we go out to help we cut and haul wood or branches until we are all to tired to do anymore. Carson has been right there with us learning to serve, and loving that he can help too. We had a person give us water bottles one afternoon and she was amazed that there were kids helping. I said to her "Why not? he can carry branches too. He wanted to be here". I guess she was very impressed because she came back later with snacks for the kids.




2 comments:
I am glad you guys are ok. That is so scary! But what a wonderful opportunity to serve others...way to teach Carson!
Wow!!! Who knew?! I'm glad you are all alright! Way to serve! Lucas has been concerned lately about tornados, and he says we need to move away from Las Vegas. :)
Post a Comment