Yet another moment for Carson to totally embarrass his parents-
We had the missionaries over for diner. Carson seemed to be happy about our new guests and was behaving rather shy.
Carson- (whispering) Dad, Dad! I have something to tell you.
So Curtis leans in close to hear what Carson has to say
Carson- (pointing to one of the elders) He has a big head!
Curtis- Carson. ummmm. (Trying not to laugh)
Carson-(very loudly) Look at it! he has a big head!
By this time we are all laughing, and poor Elder Cook was very embarrassed. The rest of the meal Carson referred to Elder Cook as "The guy with the big head".
When the Elders left we attempted to talk to Carson about saying nice things. But he was insistent that he really did have a big head.
So now I am wondering... If he was just stating an observation... that happened to be true... what should I say?
Yes, honey. That is a rather large head. Please try not to stare.... it's rude.
Or, Do I lie?
No. That is not a "big head"... its proportional to his body size. He is just really really big.
6 comments:
Ahhh...children and their honesty. Isn't it wonderful? I would've said something about the elder having a big brain and left it at that. lol
I've found myself in the same situation a couple of times. When it happens I've just tried to explain that it's not nice to make fun of people and that it hurts their feelings. I then try and turn it around and ask Ben how he would feel if someone was laughing at him. He then is able to understand because he knows that he would feel bad.
Also, when he points out peoples differences (like when he noticed his little friend has freckles) I just try and talk about how nice it is that Heavenly Father made us all different.
I know it's hard not to laugh because sometimes we might be thinking the same thing.
Loved the story --- Grama and Frampa
Talk to him about not saying unkind things even if it is the truth. He is beginning to see that people are different and different is good. I can't wait until he points out the fat lady at the top of his voice, or the guy with the really big nose. It could happen I know.
I laughed when you guys told me the story and I laughed again when I read it. Kids will be kids. I have to say it is good to know that my kids aren't the only ones. Acadia told Rudy a little while ago that he had a fat tummy. Embarrassing!
Funny story. Tyler doesn't understand why telling the truth is bad manners. Truth is truth! What's the big deal? :)
Post a Comment